Saturday 3 August 2013

Dye, Dye, Dye, My Darling

I remember the first time I got brave with my hair. I was 17 and my naturally blonde hair had been a few different temporary colours, but I'd never done anything major with it. I'd wanted to dye it black for ages, but hadn't had the guts to do it. Finally I went ahead and did it, I'd recently had my hair cut shorter too, so my hair had a pretty drastic transformation from golden and down to my hips to shoulder length and black.

 I flipped back and forth over the years between letting the blond grow out and dying it black again, and it wasn't uncommon to see me with about 30cm of blonde regrowth and black ends.

After awhile I got sick of the upkeep, due to continual dying my hair colour was now a boring, drab mousy blonde. I didn't think about it at the time, but now looking back at photos I hate how dull and crappy my hair looked. I hate how dull and crappy I looked. It was all baggy tops and dark pants. I feel really embarrassed that I was putting so little effort in and had apparently forgotten what it was like to dress up and feel pretty. In retrospect I feel like I had lost touch with myself.

*shudder* ugh I hate it!

So cue the break up of a long term relationship, and suddenly I was ready to be FUN again. I started wearing pretty skirts and dresses, bleached my hair and put pink and purple through it, and haven't looked back. I've spent the past 2.5ish years in various states of platinum, pink, purple and blue. It might sound contrary because I'm not going "au naturel", but I really feel so much better and so much more comfortable in my own skin now. Its sometimes a chore to do my makeup and keep my hair pretty and all that jazz, but its a labour of love, and I really enjoy the end result.



Today I spent a large portion of the day dying my hair, I had to bleach my roots, then apply a toner to get rid of the nasty yellowy shade, then I decided to try and to a kind of reverse ombre thing with lighter roots and darker ends. So I applied light purple to my roots and darker purple to my tips, and I also put a bit of pink through the upper layers to give it a little dimension. Pink and purple really is my favourite hair colour combo, and as much as I consider other combinations, I never really stray from my pinks and purples. My hair didn't quite turn out as I'd hoped, the pink really hasn't picked up as well as it should have. I've used a different shade of pink than I usually do and it just doesn't seem to take to my hair as well as the old one, even though they're both Fudge Paintbox dyes.

I must admit though, I am getting super sick of having to touch up my hair every week to keep it nice, so I'm thinking of trying to get my hands on some of the Special Effects semi-permanent dye. It supposedly stays vibrant for ages. The only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere in Australia that sells it and shipping from the US is pretty pricey. Well, I'll keep looking into it and see what I can find.

I've taken a couple of photos tonight, but really the full effect of the colours blended together is meant to look best in curled hair, so I've pinned it up and tomorrow I'll try and get it looking pretty and post some pics.

Hope everyone is doing well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading comments and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have, so don't be shy! :)