Monday 7 April 2014

The Dark Side of the Closet - Episode 2

A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be fun to do a series of posts about the various items in my wardrobe that never get worn. Today we return to the forgotten corners of my closet to retrieve two more dresses that didn't work out. (You can see my first post here!)

These two dresses come from an ill-fated Modcloth order in which I ordered six dresses and only TWO of them fit! I was devastated, but the cost of returning them is too much to bother with, and so they have sat in my closet for far too long. Both of them were purchased with the intention of using them for job interviews and work-related stuff, so they're a little less flamboyant than my everyday attire.

The first is branded 'Fervour'. I love the colours and the cute little collar, and it came with a belt which is always a plus, but my god is the fit bad. The arm holes are HUGE which leads to mega gape happening, I tried to fix that by taking it in at the shoulders, which helped, but there are still other problems with it. The fabric is thick, but clingy, and having fabric clinging around my stomach and hips is a really unflattering look for me. Basically I just had to write it off as unwearable. One day I might get around to selling it on Ebay or something. I'm just so lazy about that sort of thing!


The next dress is from the Modcloth 'Be the Buyer' feature in which users are able to vote on which items of clothing go into production. I love the look of this dress, the asymmetrical seam up the front, the contrasting fabric, the cut, its all so adorable. But alas, it does not fit. It has a similar problem to the above in that the fabric likes to cling, only this one is much worse because the fabric is also incredibly thin. It accentuates every lump and bump, which may be fine for some but not those of us who are particularly lumpy and bumpy! It shows EVERYTHING around the stomach and hips, where it clings the most (ie. where I'm biggest), and I can't say I find highly visibly panty lines to be a terribly attractive look.


So that's two more dresses in the graveyard of unused clothing, and unfortunately there's plenty more where they came from!

Hope everyone is well!


2 comments:

  1. You could always do a "Shop My Closet" on Instagram and just use Paypal to send invoices, bypassing the whole eBay thing altogether. Its a shame to have so many unused clothes taking up valuable real estate in your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Delores! I've seen other bloggers do that, and it seems to work out well for them. I love that second dress. I actually planned to buy it, but it was sold out by the time I was ready.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy reading comments and am more than happy to answer any questions you might have, so don't be shy! :)